The Friends of Hubbell Trading Post National Historic Site, Inc. announce that applications are being accepted for the 2017 annual scholarship for Navajo and Hopi college students. The funds for our scholarships are raised through memberships, activities at Hubbell TPNHS including the Auctions, and other off-site events. The scholarships are established in honor of three weavers (Evelyn Curley, Mary Lee Begay, and Helen Kirk) who spent many years demonstrating their art to people in the Visitor Center. In August of 2016, the Friends group awarded $25,000 in Scholarships.
The following are the recipients of this year’s scholarships:
We are very happy that during 2016 we were able to award scholarships to ten very deserving third and fourth-year college students.
Ten scholarships in the amount of $2,500 each were awarded..
- Brittany Jamaica Fat-Denatsosie is attending the Northern Arizona University majoring in Nursing
- Christopher Denetso is attending the University of New Mexico majoring in Biochemisty
- DeRay Chatter is attending the University of Arizona majoring in Public Health.
- Sarafina Natonabah Gorman is attending Northern Arizona University majoring in Nursing
- Keana Kaleikini-Haines is attending the Fort Lewis College majoring in Public Health
- Leandrew Allen Dailey is attending the Fort Lewis College majoring in Biochemistry
- Chayrel Yazzie is attending the Northern Arizona University majoring in Biomedical Science
- Alonzo Ray Bizahaloni is attending Northern Arizona University majoring in Mechanical Engineering
- Lakota Benally is attending University of New Mexico majoring in Nursing
- Ashley Yazzie is attending the Northern Arizona University majoring in Special and Elementary Education
We wish all of our scholarship recipients the best of luck in their studies and future careers, and we hope to hear from them as their education and careers progress.
How to apply for a Friends of Hubbell Scholarship
Click to Download Application Information from this page in RTF format.
Deadline: June 24, 2017
Applications must be mailed to and postmarked by June 24, 2017 to the address shown on the application form.
• Be an enrolled member of the Navajo or Hopi Nation;
• Attending a two or four-year college/university in the four corners region (AZ, NM, CO, UT);
• Have a declared major or special degree program;
• Entering your junior or senior year in fall 2017 or winter 2018;
• Have a 3.0 current grade point average (GPA) or better.
Your letter of application should include (Important that all 4 items are included in application):
1) Certification of enrollment from your educational institution that indicates your status in school as of the end spring semester 2016;
2) Official transcript showing GPA;
3) Copy of your tribal enrollment certificate;
4) A one page essay describing your educational goals, your career goals, and how they relate to the Navajo or Hopi nation.
Questions? – send us an e-mail