The Friends of Hubbell Trading Post National Historic Site, Inc. announce that applications are being accepted for the 2018 annual scholarship for Navajo and Hopi college students. The funds for our scholarships are raised through memberships, activities at Hubbell TPNHS including the Auctions, and other off-site events. The scholarships are established in honor of three weavers (Evelyn Curley, Mary Lee Begay, and Helen Kirk) who spent many years demonstrating their art to people in the Visitor Center. To date, $165,000 in scholarships have been awarded, with nearly $100,000 in the last four years. In August of 2017, the Friends group awarded $22,500 in Scholarships.
The following are the recipients of this year’s scholarships:
We are very happy that during 2017 we were able to award scholarships to nine very deserving third and fourth-year college students.
Nine scholarships in the amount of $2,500 each were awarded..
- Rayanna K Benally is attending the University of Arizona majoring in Natural Resources
- Sheninkwa Cly is attending the University of Arizona majoring in Elementary Education
- Chayrel C Yazzie is attending the Northern Arizona University majoring in Biomedical Science
- Sunny Kristen Storer is attending Arizona State University majoring in Health Care Innovation
- Cheyanna H Shepherd is attending Arizona State University majoring in Exercise and Wellness
- Gleshena Gordon is attending Dine College, Tsaile, AZ majoring in Elementary Education
- Tannon Tom is attending Arizona State University majoring in Psychology
- Natalia Sells is attending Fort Lewis College majoring in Business Administration
- Ashley Yazzie is attending the Northern Arizona University majoring in Special and Elementary Education
We wish all of our scholarship recipients the best of luck in their studies and future careers, and we hope to hear from them as their education and careers progress.
How to apply for a Friends of Hubbell Scholarship
Click to Download Application Information from this page in RTF format.
Deadline: June 18, 2018
Applications must be mailed to and postmarked by June 18, 2018 to the address shown on the application form.
• Be an enrolled member of the Navajo or Hopi Nation;
• Attending a two or four-year college/university in the four corners region (AZ, NM, CO, UT);
• Have a declared major or special degree program;
• Entering your junior or senior year in fall 2018 or winter 2019;
• Have a 3.0 current grade point average (GPA) or better.
Your letter of application should include (Important that all 4 items are included in application):
1) Certification of enrollment from your educational institution that indicates your status in school as of the end spring semester 2017;
2) Official transcript showing GPA;
3) Copy of your tribal enrollment certificate;
4) A one page essay describing your educational goals, your career goals, and how they relate to the Navajo or Hopi nation.
Questions? – send us an e-mail